Sweet & Tangy Meatball Appetizer
Use Haskap Hot Pepper Preserve to make the easiest appetizer ever! Serve with a party-pick topped with tortellini pasta, or in a slider bun, these savoury meatballs are delicious! They also work well with pasta, rice, or potato dishes for a more complete meal entrée.
- 250 ml jar Haskap Hot Pepper Preserve
- 1 lb ground beef or ½ lb each of ground beef and pork
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 tsp Italian mixed spice blend
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- In a medium bowl, combine ground meat, breadcrumbs, egg, and seasonings. Mix thoroughly.
- Use a small ice cream scope or your hands to make a small meatball, bite-size. Repeat to use all of the meatball mixture.
- In a skillet or frying pan, heat the oil and quickly brown the meatballs, use tongs to turn frequently.
- Transfer them to a slow cooker; set the slow cooker to high for 2 hours. Test for doneness at 165°F/75°C.
- When done place in a casserole dish. Pour the Haskap Hot Pepper Preserve over the meatballs, stir to coat the meatballs. Best served warm – enjoy!
Slow-cooker recipe, cook time 2 hours OR purchase pre-cooked Italian meatballs and follow manufacturer’s instructions to reheat and add Haskap Highlands Haskap Hot Pepper Preserve.