Ooey-Gooey-Crunchy Haskap Bars
These squares are loaded with goodness! For a healthier version, chocolate is optional. However, if you like a little spicy heat with your chocolate, you could substitute the Haskap Berry Preserve with our Haskap Hot Pepper Preserve.
- 9 graham crackers, broken
- 3/4 cup almonds, chopped and toasted
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 250ml jar Haskap Highland Orchards™ Haskap Berry Preserve
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 1/2 oz chocolate chips (approx. ¼ cup)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray. Line bottom and sides with parchment paper (let hang over the sides), spray again.
- Place graham crackers, ¼ cup of the almonds and 3 tbsp of the sugar in a food processor until finely ground. Pulse in butter until fine crumbs form. Press into an even layer in pan. Bake until edges are golden brown, and center is dry, 12 – 15 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Combine Haskap Berry Preserve and lime juice. Spread evenly over crust. Sprinkle coconut and remaining ½ cup of almonds on top; gently press into Haskap mixture. Scatter chocolate over top: press in.
- Bake until filling is gently bubbling, and coconut is golden, about 20 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on wire rack. Lift out of pan using parchment. Cut into squares. Enjoy!